Bucks UTC / Building Studies / Careers

Interested in a Career in the Building Industry?

Welcome to our Building Studies Careers Centre. Here you can find out all about different career options that Building Studies can lead to whether you want to go straight to work, take an apprenticeship, or go onto further education.

Unsure of your career path? Why not try this interactive quiz.

First things first… What is an Apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship involves learning at a college or provider whilst gaining onsite experience. You gain qualifications alongside your apprenticeship such as BTECs, NVQs or even foundation degrees depending on your entry level. Attitudes towards apprenticeships have improved over the last 10 years, however, some people still don’t appreciate the opportunities that they can provide to young people. Taking an apprenticeship is a great way to get into a career and many companies, Network Rail, for example, encourage apprenticeships.

To find out more about Apprenticeships – click here.

What could you become after studying Building Studies?

Below are just a few examples of the careers available in the Building Industry.

  • Architect
  • Bid Manager
  • BIM
  • Building Surveyor
  • Building Trades
  • Buyers
  • CAD Technician
  • Commercial Manager
  • Construction Compliance
Construction Manager
  • Contracts Manager
  • Design
  • Ecologist
  • Engineering
  • Equipment Hire
  • Estimator
  • Financial Management
  • Fleet Management
  • Flood Management
  • Health & Safety Advisor
  • Interior Design
  • Project Engineer
  • Project Manager
  • Project Surveyor
  • Quality Control
  • Quantity Surveyor
  • Sales
  • Services Procurement
  • Site Engineer
  • Site Manager
  • Site Operative
  • Structural Engineer
  • Surveyor
  • Technical Architect
  • Town Planning
  • Transport Planning

+ - Leaving at 16?

The best way to pursue a career in Construction if leaving the UTC at 16 is via an apprenticeship.

Traditional Apprenticeships

Gain 2 or 3 years experience on-site and gain a Level 2 or Level 3 NVQ (National Vocational Qualification).

What do you need?

GCSE grades. Some will be more specific in the grades that they are looking for, for example, an A*-C in Maths and English.

Where will this get me?

After this you will be able to move on to:

  • Higher Apprenticeship,
  • Career!

+ - Leaving at 18?

If you’ve studied at Bucks UTC for Years 12 & 13 you have a number of options going forwards.

Higher Apprenticeships

This involves studying for a foundation degree or BTEC qualification whilst on the job training. There are three routes you can take:

  • You can gain a Level 4 NVQ in Construction and Building Services Management supported by a Higher National Certificate,
  • You could gain a foundation degree in Professional Practice in Construction Operations Management,
  • You could gain a Level 5 NVQ in construction Operations Management supported by a Higher National Diploma.

University Degree

There are a range of degree options to choose from some of which include:

Construction Management, Architecture, Building and Planning, Building Design, Construction Project Management, Environmental Design, Landscape Design, Quantity Surveying, Regional Planning, Structural Surveying, Town Planning, Transport Planning, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering, Robotics, Interior Design.

So tell me more about some of the jobs I could get

See below for a range of different jobs available which involve Construction. Of course, there are many more jobs available, but this should give you a good idea of the different options out there.

+ - Architect

What is it?

Architects are in charge of the design of new buildings and the restoration or alteration of existing ones.

What do I need?

  • You will need GCSEs (A*-C) including Maths, English, Physics or Chemistry. 3 A-Levels or further education qualifications are also accepted, preferably in either a maths or science subject,
  • 5-year University course recognised by the Architects Registration Board,
  • An interest in art and design, many Universities will want to see your drawings and sketches,
  • 2 years professional experience.

+ - Interior Design

What is it?

They are involved in the design and creation of living and work spaces for many different clients. They may specialise in different areas such as corporate workspaces or home design.

What do I need?

  • GCSE’s (A*-C),
  • A-levels or equivalent qualification including Art/Design,
  • Degree in Interior Design or a relevant area. Many Universities will request to see a portfolio to compliment your application.

+ - BIM Manager

What is it?

They are involved in creating a digital representation of a building using a coherent system of 3D computer models.

What do I need?

  • A degree or postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject such as construction,
  • At least 5 years experiences.

+ - Bricklayer

What is it?

Bricklayers lay bricks, pre-cut stone, concrete blocks and other types of blocks in mortar.

What do I need?

There are no particular qualifications but many employers look for GCSEs (A-C). Many will be more interested in hiring individuals who have on-site, practical experience.

+ - Building Control Surveyor

What is it?

They make sure that regulations are followed on construction sites and projects.

What do I need?

  • A BTEC HND/Level 5 Higher National Diploma in building control or a degree.
  • 3 A-Levels or equivalent.

+ - CAD Modeller

What is it?

A CAD technician creates 2D or 3D design plans using computer software. These may be for buildings or structural civil engineering projects.

What do I need?

You will usually get into this career through an apprenticeship. To gain an apprenticeship you will need GCSEs (A-C) including Maths, English and a Science. Experience in the relevant design software is also important. There are also a range of college courses that are relevant to a career in CAD.

+ - Carpenter

What is it?

Carpenters and Joiners make and install wooden fixtures and fittings for construction projects.

What do I need?

  • GCSEs – Useful ones would be English, Maths, Resistant Materials and a Science,
  • A construction apprenticeship in carpentry or a building firm, through this you may also gain an NVQ.

+ - Civil Engineer

What is it?

This role involves planning, designing and managing construction projects.

What do I need?

  • A three-year Engineering degree or a four-year degree in Civil Engineering,
  • At least five GCSEs (A-C) and 2/3 A-Levels or equivalent including Maths and a Science (Physics).

+ - Construction Manager

What is it?

This is the most senior member on a building site.

What do I need?

  • A degree in a relevant course such as Building Management, Engineering, Construction Management, Project Management or Building Studies,
  • You will need 3 A-levels or equivalent,
  • You will usually need at least 10 years experience within the industry.

+ - Electrical Engineer

What is it?

This role is responsible for the design, development, control and maintenance of the electrical systems and components of buildings, rail networks or power distribution networks.

What do I need?

Either a foundation degree, Higher National Diploma , or degree in electrical or electronic engineering or a related subject. You may start off as an electrical technician apprentice before becoming an electrical engineer.

+ - Painter and Decorator

What is it?

A painter and decorator works on a wide range of  jobs. This may include house renovations, new builds to painting bridges or historic buildings.

What do I need?

An apprenticeship where you will gain a Level 2 or 3 NVQ. Once you are qualified, you may progress and gain qualifications in specific techniques.

+ - Project Manager

What is it?

A project manager is in charge of ensuring a building/structure is built properly. They drive the project from start to finish.

What do I need?

  • A degree or a postgraduate degree in either Project Management, Business and Management, IT or Construction Management,
  • Or you may study part-time for the degree whilst working towards NVQs in Business Improvement Techniques or Project Management,
  • Or you may get into the role due to the experiences you have gained in the construction industry.

+ - Site Manager

What is it?

This role involves running the workforce on a building site.

What do I need?

  • GCSEs including English, Maths and a Science
  • A Traditional Apprenticeship and a Higher National Diploma in a relevant subject.