Our Curriculum Intent
Our curriculum intent aims to develop curious, academically able and technically-skilled young people who aspire to be principled, compassionate learners. Bucks UTC has a clear vision to be a distinctive education provider and to offer something different to more traditional schools in the local area. We offer our students the knowledge, experiences, skills and values that will prepare them not only for their examinations, but also for career pathways and global competition in the 21st century, primarily in Construction, Computing and Health sectors. We do things a little differently to normal schools or colleges because we believe the best and most effective way to educate our students is to always make our teaching more hands-on and career-focussed. Our curriculum strives to create students who are self-motivated, competent, willing to take risks and become lifelong learners.
Some key features of our curriculum:
- An innovative career-focussed curriculum that specifically reflects the diversity of Construction, Computing and Health Sector skills required both locally and internationally.
- Provides an exciting and vibrant environment where students are enthused and motivated through the relevance of all of their learning in their future adult lives.
- High-quality technical and STEM education.
- Excellent careers guidance and support through a structured programme of learning
- Frequent and purposeful employer engagement opportunities both in the classroom and beyond, through our employer-partners.
- Significant input from higher education institutions, primarily from our University-sponsor, Buckinghamshire New University.
- A comprehensive assembly programme and PSHE curriculum that develop students’ understanding of wellbeing, society and how to lead a purposeful life within it.
All students should have the opportunity to reach purposeful destinations, including employment, apprenticeships, degree apprenticeships and degree courses.
Since opening in 2013 both staff and students have worked passionately to create a centre of excellence for technical qualifications. Our curriculum provides all students with the experience, skills and values needed to prepare them properly for success at each stage of their future lives.
At 14-16 (Key Stage 4) we provide a core education in GCSEs English, Maths and Science as well a specialist technical route in either in Construction, Computing or Health (from September 2022). In the Sixth Form (Key Stage 5) students can continue on the Computing and Health pathways following courses equivalent to 3 A Levels.